2010年8月29日星期日

Jared DeVries disappointed he was placed on IR

If this is the end of the line for Jared DeVries(notes) in Detroit, and it certainly looks like that is the case, it was a rough ending for a player who has brought a lot to the organization for 12 years.
The Lions placed the 34-year-old on injured reserve on Friday, two days after he had arthroscopic surgery to repair loose cartilate in his cheap nfl jerseys left knee, according to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. The decision didn’t sit well with DeVries, who said the original injury was misdiagnosed.
Let’s put DeVries and his commitment to the Lions in perspective for a minute. DeVries missed all of last season after he ruptured his Achilles tendon. The Lions cut him early in the offseason to avoid having to pay him a roster bonus. Then, he re-signed with the club, a sign of how he felt about the organization and the unfinished business he had.
Now, if he can return and play later this season, it will not be in Chargers jersey a Lions uniform.
“After I'm ready to play again they can waive me and I can go play somewhere else, but I'm not allowed to come back here,” DeVries told Birkett. “Obviously, this is where my heart is.
“Three weeks ago, when I started having knee pain, we just thought it was the swelling from my quad. But obviously, it was more than that. I could pinpoint it every time they asked me to, but it's just unfortunate."
"It's unfortunate, but I'm most disappointed because the Lions are going to be good, the defensive line is going to be good. That's a great locker room. And I wanted to be a part of it in the worst way. But decisions have to be made and they often can't wait.”
We’re not certain the Lions will be “good” on the defensive line but they are making steps in the right direction after drafting tackle Ndamukong Suh(notes) with the second overall pick, and spending (overspending?) for veteran end Kyle Vanden Bosch(notes) at the start of free agency. The Lions fortified the position by trading for former Seattle first-round draft pick Lawrence Jackson(notes).
DeVries did not rule out retirement but told Birkett he has a lot of Steelers jersey good football left in him. Maybe he could find a team needing a veteran later in the season, but there are no guarantees and certainly his health and condition will be a primary concern.
“I know I could have helped this team a great deal," DeVries said. "I'm just extremely disappointed I can't be here for the turnaround, and the Lions are going to be good this year, I can guarantee that. I'm just—you spend 12 years of your life working for something, so it’s tough."

没有评论:

发表评论